Advanced Emergency Response System
An Advanced Emergency Response Communication System (A-ERCS) represents a vision of convergent, reliable and smart communication system designed specifically for professional use in emergency situations. Such examples are interventions and rescue missions, where different civil protection units vitally rely on communication during an on-site operation, for instance fire fighter units, medical rescue teams, military armed forces, police units etc.
Today, civil protection services are reluctant to use the latest communication technologies for the reasons of extremely high communication reliability, priority and robustness requirements throughout the operation. These requirements are in the sense of instant service operation (e.g. continuous voice communication without interruptions and downtime) and robustness of the communication system in the event of major catastrophes (e.g. operational communication system after a major earthquake or flooding). In the face of such stringent preconditions, so far only professional solutions have been able to provide appropriate capabilities and features while disregarding a variety of readily available commercial networks and solutions.
The focus of the A-ERCS pilot
The focus of the A-ERCS pilot activities is to design, implement and demonstrate a communication system that provides different communication services for a fire fighter unit during an on-site intervention. The aim of our efforts is to demonstrate that state-of-the-art communication technologies and networks can facilitate an advanced emergency response communication system and provide professionalized data services by utilizing a carefully orchestrated combination of professional and commercial networks and relying on advanced features of the IPv6 technology.
Our vision, driving the A-ERCS efforts, is to contribute to further developments and adoption of advanced, reliable and highly convergent communication systems available for professional use in different emergency and catastrophic situations, and thus take the telecommunication services to the next level in serving for security and wellbeing of mankind. We would like to demonstrate that today a variety of powerful and efficient communication technologies exist that, if combined and orchestrated appropriately with advanced intelligent overlay solutions, can deliver reliable, resilient and autonomous communications able to serve and protect in extreme conditions where communication can represent a vital element of survival.
The aim of the A-ERCS pilot is to clearly demonstrate the state-of-the-art IPv6-enabled features in emergency response environments. More specifically, the A-ERCS pilot will demonstrate:
- A scalable and robust overlay system for data transport and rich multimedia service built across both professional (e.g. DMR, TETRA, Satellite) and commercial networks (e.g. UMTS/HSPA, LTE) and ruggedized commercial-of-the-shelf (COTS) systems (mesh Wi-Fi and ad-hoc WiMax).
- The ability of such a system to deliver seamless connectivity from targeted/affected areas across heterogeneous technologies and public networks, locally as well as on national and cross-border levels.
- Capabilities of the IPv6 technology to assist in deployment of automatic network planning and deployment capabilities, vital to all A-ERCS systems.
- IPv6 support for advanced features, such as network, node and host auto configuration, and self-organization and self-healing characteristics.
- The ability of such a system to assure secure and QoS-enabled transmission of data, voice and multimedia-rich services system by relying upon modern professional and commercial telecommunications networks and IPv6-based technologies and features.
The A-ERCS pilot will be implemented and demonstrated in Slovenia by the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Laboratory for telecommunications (LTFE), in tight cooperation with Voluntary Fire Brigade, operating under Municipality of Ljubljana (MOL), Department for Protection, Rescue and Civil Defense (OZRCO)